Uponor North America recently held a special networking reception and plant tour at its headquarters facility for His Excellency Mikko Hautala, Ambassador of Finland to the United States, Elaine Kumpula, Honorary Consul of Finland for Minnesota, and several other distinguished visitors and guests.
The purpose of the reception, held on the evening of May 17, was twofold, said Uponor NA President and event host Andres Caballero: first, to celebrate the manufacturer’s strong business connection to Finland, home of its parent company, Helsinki-based Uponor Corp., and second, to “showcase both our ambitions and achievements related to sustainable business practices.”
Noting that Uponor established North American operations in 1990 in Apple Valley where it continues to be the nation’s leading manufacturer of crosslinked polyethylene (PEX) pipe for residential and commercial construction applications, Caballero cited three recent “sustainability highlights” for Uponor in North America, including its Canadian operations in Mississauga, Ontario:
- 98 percent of the company’s purchased electricity derives from renewable sources.
- In 2022, Uponor cut greenhouse gas emissions in its operations by 83 percent since its base year of 2019.
- 83 percent of the company’s waste is recycled as material or energy.
“We are very proud of our sustainability achievements, so far—but know there is much more to do,” Caballero commented to the group. “To continue moving us forward, we employ a global team focused on finding ways to minimize energy use, water waste, and operational impact—and get us closer to realizing our vision of becoming the leader in sustainable water solutions.”
Other special guests at the reception included:
- Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development Interim Commissioner Kevin McKinnon
- Dakota County Commissioner Mary Hamann-Roland
- Mayor of Apple Valley Clint Hooppaw
- Phil Hansen, President of Global Minnesota
Commented Caballero at the close of the reception: “Since 1951, Global Minnesota’s mission has been to bring Minnesota to the world and the world to Minnesota through public events, education programs, international professional exchanges, and other activities. We thank Global Minnesota for their partnership in tonight’s reception with our honored guests.”