I love the weather in San Diego—don’t you? Well, if you’ve never been to San Diego or experienced the weather of which I’m speaking, come join your peers for the 2021 ASPE Tech Symposium on September 22–26 at the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley hotel. You will not regret the decision to attend this year’s premier professional development event for plumbing engineers and designers.
ASPE’s biennial Tech Symposium is a 2.5-day conference that provides the ultimate opportunity for plumbing engineers and designers at all career levels to engage in productive technical exchanges and networking. At the ASPE Tech Symposium, you can choose from 40 technical education and professional development sessions in several tracks to customize your learning experience. Our classes are designed to teach you how to integrate the most current design techniques into your projects, with hands-on calculation and application examples, and each technical session offers 0.15 CEUs that can be used for license and certification continuing education requirements.
This year, to further immerse you in the latest engineering innovations, our Product Show will be running from Thursday afternoon to Friday morning. The industry’s top manufacturers will be showcasing their newest products and teaching you how to apply them in your designs. We also are offering some great networking opportunities while you are in San Diego.
What Can You Expect at the 2021 ASPE Tech Symposium?
Thursday, September 23
On Thursday, the ASPE Young Professionals (AYP) Leadership Academy, sponsored by Zurn Industries, will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. This interactive workshop is called “Dynamic Tools to Lead at Every Level” and will be presented by Christina Rowe, MSOL.
As mentioned, the two-day ASPE Tech Symposium Product Show will begin on Thursday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. and will end at 8:00 p.m. Light snacks and drinks will be provided while you browse the new products and innovations and chat with our Sponsors/Exhibitors.
After the Product Show has ended on Thursday night, the Women of ASPE (WOA), which is sponsored by Delta Faucet, will have a WOA meetup offsite. Reach out to any of the WOA members while you are at the Product Show and pry some important information out of them—like, where the meetup will be.
Friday, September 24
Society committee meetings will be held on Friday morning from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Afterward, at 9:45 a.m., the second part of the Product Show will begin, and it will end at 1:15 p.m. Lunch will be served during the Product Show to give your brain the energy needed to absorb as much information as possible from our expert speakers who will be presenting the technical education sessions, which start on Friday at 1:30 p.m.
Just look at all of these amazing sessions we are offering on Friday. How will you pick which ones to attend?
1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Codes & Standards/Water Quality | Responding to Crisis: Best Practices for Shutting Down & Reopening Buildings
- System Design | Hydronic Expansion Tanks for HVAC & Plumbing Applications
- Sustainability/Construction Discussion | Copper: A Key Element in Sustainable & Resilient Design
- Specialty Design | Firestop Pre-Con for Plumbing Engineers
- Fire Protection, Life Safety & More | Backflow Prevention Assemblies in Fire Protection Systems
3:15 – 4:45 p.m.
- Codes & Standards/Water Quality | 2021 International Plumbing Code Significant Changes
- System Design | Design of Sitewide Natural Gas Distribution Systems
- Sustainability/Construction Discussion | Water Treatment for Commercial Humidification
- Specialty Design | Firestop Installation for Plumbing Engineers
- Fire Protection, Life Safety & More | Tech Top 5 — The Most-Asked Questions (and Answers) from Reliable Automatic Sprinkler Technical Services Staff
After the sessions on Friday, our Welcome Party, sponsored by Charlotte Pipe & Foundry Co., will be held from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. This will be a great way to kick off the 2021 ASPE Tech Symposium with a special cocktail party by the pool. Entrance is complimentary for those who have paid for a full registration for the Tech Symposium. If you want to attend and don’t have a ticket, a full registration is the way to go. Get yours now.
Saturday, September 25
On Saturday morning, Society committee meetings will again be held from 7:30 to 8:45 a.m. Then, Saturday brings about the second day of technical education sessions, beginning at 9:00 a.m. On Saturday, you have even more learning options:
9:00 – 10:30 a.m.
- Codes & Standards/Water Quality | A Detailed Review of the ASSE 1087 Standard
- System Design | Applying Roof Drain Flow Rates in System Design
- Sustainability/Construction Discussion | Value Engineering Cast Iron Soil Pipe & Thermoplastics for DWV Applications
- Specialty Design | Selecting the Right Water-Based Fire Protection System
- Fire Protection, Life Safety & More | Nitrous Oxide, Nitrogen & Carbon Dioxide Medical Gases
10:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Codes & Standards/Water Quality | Extending the Water Demand Calculator to Commercial & Institutional Buildings
- System Design | Vacuum Plumbing for Safe, Sustainable & Future-Ready Plumbing Design
- Sustainability/Construction Discussion | New Design Concepts in Response to Crises: Balancing Sustainability & Water Safety
- Specialty Design | Designing DWV Systems with Cast Iron Soil Pipe
- Fire Protection, Life Safety & More | Fire Protection Special Hazards & Hazard Analysis
To give your brain a break, the ASPE Lunch & Awards Ceremony will be held from 12:15 to 1:45 p.m. Then the sessions start again:
2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Codes & Standards/Water Quality | Decoding Plumbing Codes
- System Design | Designing Booster Systems — ASPE Chapter 5 Method
- Sustainability/Construction Discussion | Applications for Smart Water Management in Commercial Buildings
- Specialty Design | Cast Iron Coatings for Aggressive DWV Applications
- Fire Protection, Life Safety & More | New Innovations in Med Gas Piping — Changes Found in NFPA 99
3:45 – 5:15 p.m.
- Codes & Standards/Water Quality | Cast Iron Coatings for Aggressive DWV Applications
- System Design | PP-RCT for Building Services Piping
- Sustainability/Construction Discussion | Oil Separators vs. Grease Interceptors Design & Sizing — Taking the Mystery Out
- Specialty Design | Automatic Auxiliary Drains: New Innovations in Freeze Protection
- Fire Protection, Life Safety & More | Becoming a Solution Provider
On Saturday evening, our AYP networking event will be held at Park & Rec, located at 4612 Park Boulevard in San Diego. This event begins at 6:30 p.m. and ends at 9:30 p.m.
Sunday, September 26
On Sunday, the last day of the 2021 ASPE Tech Symposium, the third day of technical education sessions will begin at 8:45 a.m.
8:45 – 10:15 a.m.
- Codes & Standards/Water Quality | CSST Gas Piping Systems Code Compliance & Sizing
- System Design | Fuel Oil-Handling Systems for Generators & Boilers
- Sustainability/Construction Discussion | Containerized Water Treatment & Plumbing Design
- Specialty Design | Water Heater Venting Fundamentals
- Fire Protection, Life Safety & More | Self-Regulating Variable-Speed Fire Pump Units — Better, Simpler & More Cost-Effective
10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- System Design | Water Heating Design in the Modern World
- Sustainability/Construction Discussion | Hot Water Distribution Temperature, Legionella Control & the Need for Enhanced Scald Protections
- Specialty Design | What’s Old Is New Again: The Environmental & Operational Benefits of R744 Heat Pump Water Heaters
- Fire Protection, Life Safety & More | Leading Intentionally: A Young Professional’s Guide to Developing Their Personal Leadership Vision in Construction & Beyond
See You There!
Now, back to that incredible weather I mentioned that is always so pleasant in San Diego. With all of the issues we’ve dealt with since the pandemic began, we all need as much vitamin D as we can get. (If you have questions concerning your participation in the 2021 ASPE Tech Symposium, here are the latest health and safety procedures being implemented.)
So pack your bags, bring your sunglasses, and check out how bright ASPE’s future is, especially since you are part of this great Society.