The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has posted the 2023 Model Aquatic Health Code (4th edition), which includes two documents for local, state, territorial, and tribal officials to use:
- Code: Model code guidance that aims to prevent illness and injury associated with public aquatic venues through venue design, construction, operation, and management
- Annex: The scientific and best practices rationale on which the model code language is based
The 2023 Model Aquatic Health Code includes important updates to help prevent pathogen transmission, drowning, and spinal cord injuries—for example:
- Decreasing the minimum pH to 7.0
- Establishing a maximum vertical clearance at the bottom of an aquatic venue or facility enclosure
- Increasing the minimum water depth for starting platforms to 6 feet for new construction
All previous MAHC editions are replaced by the latest and most current edition of the MAHC and are archived on the Previous MAHC Editions page. All of the information related to the development of the MAHC can be found on the Creating the MAHC page.