The International Code Council has announced the release of the 2024 International Plumbing Code (IPC) and the 2024 International Mechanical Code (IMC) from the forthcoming 2024 editions of the International Codes® (I-Codes). The 2024 IPC and IMC will be the first codes among the 2024 I-Codes to undergo substantial formatting changes to improve the user experience and better align print and PDF versions of the I-Codes with the Code Council’s Digital Codes® content.
The 2024 IPC improves public health through enhanced waste management requirements and plumbing system resilience to natural hazards. It also advances community sustainability through new water conservation measures, while ensuring building accessibility through the integration of the updated ICC A117.1 Accessibility Standard, making the IPC the most comprehensive plumbing code available.
Some of the updates to the 2024 IPC include the following:
- Provisions added for support of buried piping beneath buildings where expansive soil conditions exist.
- Option added for vacuum testing of drain, waste, and vent (DWV) piping.
- Showerhead flow limited to 2.0 gallons per minute (gpm) with performance complying with high-efficiency requirements.
- Standards added for chemical waste piping and fitting materials.
The 2024 IMC establishes minimum regulations for mechanical systems using prescriptive and performance-related provisions.
Important changes from the 2021 IMC to the 2024 IMC include the following:
- Requirements prohibiting the use of domestic ductless range hoods in Groups I-1 and I-2 were removed.
- Group A2L and B2L refrigerant requirements have been added.
- Leak detection monitoring with alarm requirements have been added where the discharge from safety relief valves is not “readily visible” to occupants.
- Outside air requirements for dwelling units have increased.
- Requirements for exhaust system common ducts serving separate dwelling units have been added requiring the common duct or shaft to be maintained at a negative pressure at all times.
As part of the Code Council’s digital transformation strategy, the 2024 IPC and IMC are the first I-Codes to include new and improved formatting to align with the Code Council’s Digital Codes® content, which will be implemented within the 2024 I-Codes and all future I-Codes. These enhancements were developed and implemented based on feedback from print and digital I-Codes users and aim to improve user experience, with a modern look that improves readability.
Notable enhancements to the latest codes include additions such as QR codes next to the revised codes for easy reference and a pilot program of a Near Field Communication (NFC) tag to enhance user access to I-Codes support, increase security, and improve the product owner registration process.
For more details about these changes, please visit our dedicated webpage.
To purchase print or digital copies of the 2024 IPC and IMC, visit the Code Council’s store.
Source: International Code Council