Held in conjunction with International Women’s Day (March 8) and World Plumbing Day (March 11), the Global Marathon invites women around the globe to join a lively discussion about engineering and technology issues that transcend borders, age, and professional and personal experiences. This year’s theme is “Believe, Do, & Succeed: How Are Real Women Persisting in Engineering & Technology?”
On Wednesdays at noon EDT from March 11 to April 8, DiscoverE will host online sessions led by inspiring women in engineering and technology who will talk about overcoming obstacles, paving new pathways, and finding creative strategies to confidently persist in an engineering career.
The weekly sessions are:
- March 11: WHY STAY? Many studies have looked at the obstacles women and girls face in engineering and technology and reasons they leave, ranging from pay disparities to harassment. The 2020 Global Marathon kicks off with a different perspective: Why do they stay? What are the common factors that help women persist and thrive in the engineering profession? Speakers will share stories of purpose and perseverance, as well as their tactics to defy expectations, successfully overcome challenges, and advance.
- March 18: BELIEVE, DO, SUCCEED Recognizing your value and feeling confident that you have the skills and knowledge to succeed in an engineering profession can strengthen your resolve and help you persevere through challenges. In this session, speakers will discuss strategies you can use to build career confidence, respond to criticism and skepticism, and assert a strong belief in your ideas, skills, and contributions.
- March 25: BREAKING THE RULES Some rules need to be broken. Speakers in this session will share how they’re breaking old rules and building new dynamics to shape a more inclusive and welcoming profession.
- April 1: FROM OBSTACLES TO INSPIRATION Facing challenges is part of any journey. Learning how to transform barriers into motivators can help us succeed and pave the way for those who come after us.
- April 8: BETTER TOGETHER Belonging is fundamental to our fulfillment and well-being. Speakers will discuss how they’ve built support networks and found their community and sense of belonging in their career.
You can learn more and register at discovere.org/our-programs/global-marathon.