ASPE is pleased to announce that registration for the 2020 Certified Plumbing Design Technician (CPDT) exam is open at aspe.org. The exam will be held during the period of October 5-18 via remote proctoring, so candidates can take the exam from the comfort of their home or office.
ASPE developed the CPDT program as a precursor to the Certified in Plumbing Design (CPD) credential to help those early in their careers demonstrate their skills in plumbing design. The CPDT program has four primary objectives:
- Provide a standard of professional competence in the practice of plumbing design at the technician level.
- Identify and recognize those individuals who successfully complete the certification examination, thereby demonstrating their acquired knowledge and abilities in the field of plumbing design.
- Encourage plumbing designers to become lifelong learners and participate in a continuing program of professional development and reach CPD certification.
- Provide a standard for educational programs in plumbing design and encourage implementation of such programs.
CPDT Exam Details
The CPDT exam is a 3.5-hour, 100-question multiple choice examination held annually in the fall. To be eligible to take the CPDT exam, a candidate must possess one of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with one year of experience designing plumbing systems
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a field related to engineering (physics, mathematics, architecture, civil, environmental studies, construction, HVAC, etc.) and a minimum of two years of experience designing plumbing systems
- Four years minimum of plumbing design experience
ASPE members who are in the Full or Associate member category are automatically eligible to sit for the examination.
Registration for the 2020 CPDT exam closes on October 8. For more information on the CPDT program and exam, visit aspe.org.