ASPE Publishes Much-Anticipated Design Guide on Methodologies to Reduce the Risk of Legionella
We are pleased to announce that Engineering Methodologies to Reduce the Risk of Legionella in Premise Plumbing Systems is now available.
“With increasing Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks, many organizations have written guidelines and standards to mitigate its occurrence. However, this is the first comprehensive guide that incorporates the latest tools, methodologies, and best practices for design professionals to minimize disease and injury from Legionella pneumophila bacteria related to building water systems,” says Ramiro Mata, ASPE’s Sr. Director of Technical and Regulatory Affairs.
To develop this guide, ASPE assembled a Working Group consisting of ASPE members actively engaged in the use of Legionella mitigation techniques as well as practitioners involved with rectifying outbreaks. Over the past four years, the Working Group used information from existing papers, research documents, and input from ASPE members and the general public to craft the guideline.
“I am very excited to see the completion and publication of this important document,” says Working Group Chair Christoph Lohr, PE. “I was honored that ASPE asked me to chair this Working Group four years ago, and I’m very thankful for the wonderful group of dedicated volunteers who worked tirelessly to complete this design guide. Since 2015, more and more plumbing design professionals have been asking for practical and actionable design steps in reducing the risk of Legionella. With the release of ASPE’s Engineering Methodologies to Reduce the Risk of Legionella in Premise Plumbing Systems, plumbing engineers and designers have that information at their fingertips.”
The entire list of industry professionals in the Working Group is as follows:
- Christoph Lohr, PE, CPD, LEED AP BD+C, ASSE 12080, IAPMO (Working Group Chair)
- David Dexter, FNSPE, FASPE, CPD, CPI, LEED BD+C, PE, 3D Engineering Consultants LLC
- James Dipping, PE, CPD, GPD, LEED AP BD+C, ARCSA AP, Environmental Systems Design
- Dann Holmes, Building Water Health Technical Consulting LLC
- Carol Johnson, CPD, LEED AP, CFI, FASPE, Dewberry Edmonds
- Gary Klein, Gary Klein and Associates Inc.
- John Lansing, CPD, LEED Green Associate, PAE Consulting Engineers
- Joe Scott II, CPD, LEED AP, FASPE, Cannon Design
- Kevin Wong, Uponor
- Billy Smith, FASPE, ASPE (Staff)
- Ramiro Mata, ASPE (Staff)
ASPE intends for this guide to be periodically updated to provide the latest innovations in Legionella and waterborne pathogen mitigation in building water systems and invites participation from all stakeholders.
Engineering Methodologies to Reduce the Risk of Legionella in Premise Plumbing Systems is available for purchase on ASPE’s Bookstore.