Understanding your role and responsibilities within the mentor/mentee relationship will better enable you to reach all of your desired goals.
Mentor Roles and Responsibilities
- Have a clear understanding of why you want to be a mentor
- Mentor with a realistic assessment of your skills and experience
- Have a clear understanding of your expectations for your mentee
- Clearly communicate those expectations
- Stay flexible in changing expectations or plans
- Create goals with milestones and deliverables
- Adapt your feedback to your mentee’s learning style
- Be realistic about setting timelines
- Advise, don’t dictate
- Advise on what you know and admit the things you don’t know
- Give good examples
- Recognize your mentee’s weaknesses and build on his/her strengths
- Offer constructive feedback
- Evaluate progress
- Be your mentee’s supporter when he/she reaches his/her goals
- Be consistent and reliable
- After mentoring is completed, follow up on successes
- Provide an evaluation of the experience
- Repeat the mentoring process with others
If you are interested in being a mentor, please complete this survey. Your response will allow us to match you appropriately with a mentee.
Note: The program is intended for career development and strictly prohibits participants from marketing or soliciting for business reasons.